A sponsored post for Woolworths Select
In an ideal world, on Mothers Day I would awake in a hotel room. I’d wake up of my own accord, roll over in those 1000 thread count Eqyptian cotton sheets and then go back to sleep. Then I’d wake again, have my children spontaneously appear for 4 minutes to tell me that they love me, adorn me with gifts and then disappear. A hot coffee would appear from somewhere, along with breakfast that would be wheeled in…filled with things that are very bad for me, inclusive of a minimum of 2 pork products, along with newspapers, all the latest magazines and then an iPad ready for me to read until I was ready to arise from bed. THEN and only then would I be ready to spend the rest of the day with the family.
Don’t get me wrong, I love my kids and I love Mothers Day – a day to celebrate everything that we Mum’s do day in day out as well as spend time with all the wonderful mothers in my family. It’s just that spending time in bed over breakfast with your kids is part of the equation that could be missed.
My Mothers day usually starts with me waking and being given beautiful home made Preschool and School presents, lovely presents and cuddles and usually a cup of tea or coffee. It takes about 4 minutes for everyone to get over the fact that this is a day off, and demand my attention back in the rest of the house.
Dads listen to me: Give the presents, cards, hot beverage and breakfast and then LEAVE. TAKE THE CHILDREN AWAY. Out of the house for a few hours so the Mum can sleep. Or read. Or potter. Or you know, have a shower or go to the bathroom in peace. Or do whatever it is she likes to do if she can remember that! DELIVER. THEN LEAVE. Do I need to make this any clearer?
Here is a perfect breakfast for you to whip up and impress any Mum this Mothers day. Kids can help. It’s relatively healthy. She can eat it in bed without crumbs. Just remember: DELIVER THEN LEAVE.
Cheat Bircher Muesli
1 cup untoasted muesli
1 cup apple juice (unsweetened)
½ cup grated granny smith apple
½ cup natural yoghurt Greek styled yoghurt
Pinch of cinnamon
¼ cup slivered almonds (roasted)
Drizzle of honey
Berries to top
Now traditional bircher muesli calls for rolled oats that are soaked overnight. With this cheat version you can just use untoasted muesli (the one I used had some extra dried fruit in it to add to the texture). This way you only need to soak the muesli for an hour…get up leave the Mum sleeping, sort it out with the kids and come back to it in an hour. Simple!
1. Take one cup of untoasted muesli and place it in a large mixing bowl
2. Add in the 1 cup of apple juice
3. Along with the ½ cup of Greek styled yoghurt and the grated apple (I leave the skin on)
4. Add in the pinch of cinnamon and give it a quick mix and transfer to the fridge to soak for an hour
5. After an hour a lot of the liquid should have soaked up. Give it another mix before ready to serve
6. For extra points you could always go all Pinterest like and serve it in a jar…but for me, call me old fashioned…I like a bowl.
7. Place in a few good spoonfuls. Top with the berries and toasted almonds and drizzle with some honey
8. Deliver into bed when enough sleep has been given. Adorn her with gifts, love, praise and home made cards for 4 minutes and then LEAVE. DELIVER AND LEAVE.
Cheat bircher muesli
|Prep time||5 minutes|
|Cook time||30 minutes|
|Total time||35 minutes|
|Misc||Child Friendly, Serve Cold|
- 1 cup Untoasted muesli
- 1 cup Apple Juice (unsweentened)
- 1/2 cup Granny smith apple (grated)
- 1/2 cup Greek styled yoghurt
- 1 pinch Cinnamon
- 1/4 cup Almonds (slivered)
- Honey (drizzled)
- handful Berries (to top)
|Take one cup of untoasted muesli and place it in a large mixing bowl|
|Add in the 1 cup of apple juice|
|Along with the ½ cup of Greek styled yoghurt and the grated apple (I leave the skin on)|
|Add in the pinch of cinnamon and give it a quick mix and transfer to the fridge to soak for an hour|
|After an hour a lot of the liquid should have soaked up. Give it another mix before ready to serve|
|For extra points you could always go all Pinterest like and serve it in a jar…but for me, call me old fashioned…I like a bowl|
|Place in a few good spoonfuls. Top with the berries and toasted almonds and drizzle with some honey|
|Deliver into bed when enough sleep has been given. Adorn her with gifts, love, praise and home made cards for 4 minutes and then LEAVE. DELIVER AND LEAVE|
What happens at your place Mothers Day?
What’s your ideal Mothers Day morning situation?
Fancy the odd Bircher? Me too!