I have a very particular way of tackling a hotel buffet breakfast. It’s the same pretty much every time and it involves gluttony and indulgence unprecedented in my normal breakfast routine.
- I order a PROPER coffee from a barista if there is one there. Drip coffee will not cut it. EVER.
- It’s straight to the fruit/muesli/yoghurt area and if there’s bircher I will grab that. If this looks bad I will sometimes go for the bagel cream cheese/salmon/capers/red onion instead.
- After that it’s time to take on the big guns: hot food. I will skip bread because I don’t want to waste valuable stomach space. Bacon. Eggs. Heavy on the hash browns. If there is an egg station I will get an omelette with everything on it. Sausages. Mushrooms. Tomatoes. Spinach. There’s no point being half-hearted about this. It breakfast buffet probably cost you $40.
- Pause. Grab a juice.
- Time for breakfast dessert. I’m talking pancakes. Waffles. JAM DONUTS. Danishes.
- Roll out of there and you are good to go until a club sambo takes your fancy around 2pm.
This past weekend I had the pleasure of staying at the QT Gold Coast hotel and tackling their version of hotel buffet breakfast. I have NEVER seen the likes of it before. Styled beautifully. Great quality food, juices, condiments. Cool design of chairs, tables, serving areas, juices. Not a bain marie in sight – think huge pots of le crusset overflowing with delicious stuff. An egg station better than I had ever seen before. Jam Donuts filled with jam and MOFO rhubarb! Good coffee. A cool looking toast machine. Friendly staff. Delicious food. Hands down the best hotel breakfast I have ever had in Australia. Maybe even anywhere.
I even snuck in to have a look at their dinner version and it was like if Whole Foods had a restaurant, then this would be it. Absolutely amazing! THIS is a buffet dinner scenario you would want to be a part of and how rare is that?! If you are in the area, and not even staying here, get yourself here just once.
So, tell me, how do you tackle the hotel buffet breakfast?